There’s a strange thing we do. Most of us anyway. We get very passionate about things that have very little to no impact on our lives. People make posters, t-shirts and websites with slogans that we’re not A/ going to understand B/ care about in 5 or 10 years. Who cares that microsoft is getting rid of paint, that pluto is no longer a planet or that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie broke up? We focus so much on such stupid, pointless things and ignore the real issues that are taking place around us. We have done too much ignoring, too much shifting focus away from real issues. Ignoring doesn’t change anything, ignoring doesn’t help. But just talking doesn’t solve problems. Just talk and no action is the same as no talk. Act to solve issues, no matter how small your action, no matter how small the issue.
This one is more for the new kids at school – gone from being the oldest and ~coolest~ to being younger than everyone and pushed around by people who sometimes are only a couple of months older than you. Alright, let’s get into it.
- Don’t try to fit in– Don’t get that bloody Superdry jacket !!! You know the exact one I’m talking about. It’s expensive, and if I’m going to be honest, quite ugly. Don’t get it just because everyone else has it, why spend upwards of 100 quid to look like everyone else ? It may come as a shock but actually having a decent personality is more important than what jacket you wear.
- Don’t start/get involved in drama – I don’t understand, and will never understand why some people decide to start unnecessary drama. I don’t know how people still don’t get this but if your ~friends~ talk about others behind their back, CHANCES ARE THEY DO IT TO YOU TOO, so drop their negative ass and find someone positive, whose company genuinely makes you happy. If you are a person who is prone to starting drama then sit yourself down and think for a moment -” why don’t I want a peaceful, stress-free life?” and STOP BEING PROBLEMATIC.
- Don’t bully – The fact that I have to include this makes me sick because bullying people weaker than you is such a low thing to do. Believe it or not, it doesn’t make you cool, it makes you look like someone who has deeeep issues with themselves and instead of dealing with them by yourself like most other decent people, you take it out on others. If you want to come back and join us, normal functioning humans, apologize. Apologize to the person whose life you’ve been making miserable and to yourself, because you let yourself down.
- Don’t talk back – “I wish I was cool enough to talk back to the teacher” – said no one ever. Please keep your “witty” comments to yourself. You’re not funny, just irritating. None of your classmates care for your input. On the same note, don’t talk back to older students – they also won’t think you’re cool and you’re likely to get beat up.
- Don’t let your grades affect your self esteem – It’s always disappointing when you get a bad grade and you can, of course, play it off and act like it doesn’t bother you but at the end of the day, everyone wants to be smarter or better than others. As you get older though, you will realise school is a test of your memory not of how smart you are so keep your chin up, and don’t feel bad about not being the best, in reality there’s always going to be someone better than you but that’s okay !!
So there you have it – my advice on how to avoid some of the embarrassing things that kids do in high school/ secondary school/ whatever they call it in England.