For some odd reason exams relax me. It’s like there’s no turning back now, what I know is what I know. Didn’t study? Wow, too bad cause there’s nothing you can do now. I make up the most and the best stories when I am in an exam. I did my first big state exams a couple of weeks ago and to be honest my friends and I had the time of our lives. There’s no point in worrying and stressing over something that in 10/20 years time will have absolutely no effect on your life. my advice for people doing exams is to chill. Lay back, drink some water, watch a movie, just whatever makes you relax. Young people are not robots, we need to relax. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m against school and the educational system (at least the one in my country) because of the fact that we are treated like robots who should waste their youth in a building learning things that will never genuinely help them in life ( I’m looking at you Pythagoras). If we do have to get an education, I would rather learn how to change a tire or manage money. Teaching young people skills necessary for life is not a waste of time, teaching them how granite forms is.
This one is more for the new kids at school – gone from being the oldest and ~coolest~ to being younger than everyone and pushed around by people who sometimes are only a couple of months older than you. Alright, let’s get into it.
- Don’t try to fit in– Don’t get that bloody Superdry jacket !!! You know the exact one I’m talking about. It’s expensive, and if I’m going to be honest, quite ugly. Don’t get it just because everyone else has it, why spend upwards of 100 quid to look like everyone else ? It may come as a shock but actually having a decent personality is more important than what jacket you wear.
- Don’t start/get involved in drama – I don’t understand, and will never understand why some people decide to start unnecessary drama. I don’t know how people still don’t get this but if your ~friends~ talk about others behind their back, CHANCES ARE THEY DO IT TO YOU TOO, so drop their negative ass and find someone positive, whose company genuinely makes you happy. If you are a person who is prone to starting drama then sit yourself down and think for a moment -” why don’t I want a peaceful, stress-free life?” and STOP BEING PROBLEMATIC.
- Don’t bully – The fact that I have to include this makes me sick because bullying people weaker than you is such a low thing to do. Believe it or not, it doesn’t make you cool, it makes you look like someone who has deeeep issues with themselves and instead of dealing with them by yourself like most other decent people, you take it out on others. If you want to come back and join us, normal functioning humans, apologize. Apologize to the person whose life you’ve been making miserable and to yourself, because you let yourself down.
- Don’t talk back – “I wish I was cool enough to talk back to the teacher” – said no one ever. Please keep your “witty” comments to yourself. You’re not funny, just irritating. None of your classmates care for your input. On the same note, don’t talk back to older students – they also won’t think you’re cool and you’re likely to get beat up.
- Don’t let your grades affect your self esteem – It’s always disappointing when you get a bad grade and you can, of course, play it off and act like it doesn’t bother you but at the end of the day, everyone wants to be smarter or better than others. As you get older though, you will realise school is a test of your memory not of how smart you are so keep your chin up, and don’t feel bad about not being the best, in reality there’s always going to be someone better than you but that’s okay !!
So there you have it – my advice on how to avoid some of the embarrassing things that kids do in high school/ secondary school/ whatever they call it in England.
Before I begin I just want to say that I know worse things have happened to people at school but this is the worst thing I experienced at school. It happened quite recently actually, a few weeks ago. I was behind on my project in art and was avoiding the teacher( let’s call her Ms.O) as best as i could. She had given out to me about how slow I am before and had insulted my parents before( who are amazing people, who, by the way, she hasn’t met) but that’s a story for another time.
My hand is shaking as I write this. Ms.O took me to the front of the class and started shouting at me, saying I wouldn’t get anywhere in life, that my parents are irresponsible for telling me not be bother with this subject (which, for the record, they hadn’t done and I never hinted to her that they had) and after I answered “no” to her asking me if I’m going to college she got – i guess upset, with me and started shouting some more. What I did next might seem soft and childish of me but I can’t handle people shouting at me. At all. I started crying, in front of my whole class. I wasn’t full-on sobbing but tears were running down my face. I’d like to think they were elegant tears like you see on TV but knowing me, I got red and puffy.
Ms.O didn’t like me making her seem harsh so she grabbed my arm and said “Let’s talk at the back”. I was having none of it so ,as gently as I could, I pulled my arm out of her grasp and ,as she probably didn’t want to make a bigger show of herself, she let go of me. A girl I barely know came up to me and handed me a tissue. I was so thankful for something I could hide my embarrassingly red face behind. Ms.O called me to the back room of the art class. I hid my face the whole way down and could hear some of my classmates saying quietly “you don’t have to go if you don’t want to” but I knew this mess would just get bigger and more annoying if I didn’t go.
When I walked into the back room she made me sit with my back to the class “so they’re not staring at you”. Wow, thanks you’re so thoughtful. She then went on to what I suppose was an apology. Starting off with “I’m sorry, I’m just used to tough students, you know? I could mop the floor with them and they wouldn’t bat an eye” Cheers miss I feel so much better now. Then she went on to the put yourself in my shoes nonsense. Then, the grand finale “So are we okay now?”. I didn’t know what to say, so I just said what I’ve been saying the whole time she’s been talking – “Yes miss”.
My friends were convincing me to report her for days. I felt that if I reported her I’d be a liar because I told her it was okay. Every class I’ve had with her since she’s been tip toeing around me and I realised – she’s scared I’ll report her. A few days after the incident I was helping a teacher with something on his computer and while he was out of the room a group of older girls walked in and one of them was crying, she was the sort of girl you don’t want to get on the bad side of. I caught bits of their conversation and realised they were talking about Ms.O. What they were saying convinced me I’m not alone and if I speak up, I won’t be the only one that benefits.
I finally worked up the courage to report her. I only got to do it the 3rd time I tried, which made me unsure whether I wanted to do it or not. When I finally got to do it, I started telling the story and I cried. The teacher I was talking to said “and what happened upset you?” No, I’m crying because I loved being in that situation so much. I just nodded. “I can’t do anything about it because I’m only a teacher too. you’d have to go to the vice principal if you want something to be done about it, but honestly? That would take so much time you’re better off just letting it slide. Focus on your exams” That’s the last I’ve ever spoken about it because the school system made me feel so dejected.
We NEED to stop procrastinating !!! I say this as I write a blog while I should be working on the two projects i have to finish by the end of this week but just hear me out. Imagine a world where you have all your work finished on time, no work to be done for the next period , a world where you start your projects on the first day you get them (instead of the night before or on the morning its due) That could be your reality!! There’s just one thing in the way. Try for just a week to leave that show, book, anime- whatever consumes your time, try to leave it until after you’re done your homework. Maybe you could even try to study ! I know it sounds like the boring way to do things but honestly tell me you aren’t disappointed in yourself when you’re one of the people who put no effort in. I’ve been here multiple times and it honestly and truly sucks. So let’s pull our socks up and just try to put in effort.